Friday, December 19, 2008

Christmas time we take care of poor people

http://www.mynews.in/fullstory.aspx?storyid=13813



Christmas time we take care of poor people

Shabana Khan 19/12/2008 12:48:48 PM(IST)


Every year ''May 18 foundation' send interns to those organization who are awarded with Gwangju Human Rights awards and also to those organization who are linked with May 18 foundation. Dr. Lenin Raghuvanshi Convener of PVCHR and Irom Sharmila Chanu were awarded with Gwangju Human Rights award in 2007.

My name is Taewook Kang, I am interns in People’s Vigilance Committee on Human Rights (PVCHR) Varanasi from May 18 foundation, South Korea.

Before interviewing my plan I want to briefly introduce my organization. The May 18 Memorial Foundation is a non-profit organization established on August 30, 1994 by the surviving victims of the 1980 Gwangju Democratic Uprising, the victim families, and the citizens of Gwangju. The foundation aims to commemorate as well as continue the spirit and struggle and solidarity of the May 18 Uprising; to contribute to the peaceful reunification of Korea; and to work towards peace and human rights throughout the world. Thus the spirit of the May 18 is inherited and passed on, significantly influencing the progress of democracy in Korea.

Since its establishment, the foundation has carried out numerous projects in various fields, including organizing memorial events, establishing scholarships, fostering research, disseminating information to the public, publishing relevant materials, dispensing charity and welfare benefits, building international solidarity, and awarding the Gwangju Prize for Human Rights.

I visit Shivrampur village with Mr. Upendra Kumar, core team member of PVCHR and Ms. Catharina Freundl interns from Austria. I reside there for three days i.e. from 17th November, 08 to 19th November, 08. During my stay in Shivrampur village I saw one person was sleeping outside without any blanket and he wear cloth which hardly covers half part of his body, though outside temperature was very cool. This situation really touches me and I plan to upload online petition to receive donation and message from my country people. Inspite to this on 21st December, 08 to 22nd December, 08 I am planning to beg at Godawlia which is situated in heart of Varanasi city. I choose that place as lots of foreigners are living there. I will enrich them about the living condition of slum what I saw and ask them for little donation.

On 24th December, 08 I want to distribute some blanket and innerwear and convey message from my country people to them. In South Korea during Christmas time we take care of poor people, following the same tradition I want to affectionate the Christmas and New Year of those people who are residing in slum area.

No comments: